5G spectrum auction in India this year and trials picking up
5G auction this year in India:
- “5G spectrum auction will be held this year and the trials for 5G services with radiowaves allotted by the ministry will commence in the next 100 days” according to IT Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad.
- 5G is predicted to create a cumulative economic impact of $1 trillion in India by 2035.
- Global telecom industry body GSMA expects India to have 920 million unique mobile subscribers by 2025, which will include 88 million 5G connections.
- 5G trials are slowly picking up with Ericsson, Nokia, Qualcomm, Intel, and Huawei aiming to invest towards 5G testbeds in India. Reliance has joined with Chinese telecom vendors on multi-vendor interoperability and validation activities for realizing O-RAN compliant disaggregated 5G access infrastructure that leverages open software and hardware hardened for commercial deployments.
5G SEP declarations in India (ETSI):
- Qualcomm, Samsung, Ericsson, and Nokia are the top 5G SEP declaration companies in India. Huawei holds 6th position in the 5G SEP declarations in India.
- More than 60% of 5G SEP declarations are declared as 4G SEP declarations by top-5 companies.
For more details on ETSI IPR 5G SEP declarations, please email me.