OTC products for acne treatment
- 1 Objective
- 2 Introduction
- 3 Research Methodology
- 4 USA market study
- 5 Japan Market Study
- 6 Like this report?
- 7 Contact Dolcera
A global understanding of markets, products, and distribution channels related to the acne product market. Our overall focus is on the OTC market, not prescription.
Acne vulgaris (commonly called acne) is a common skin condition, affecting 85-100% of people at some time during their lives. It is caused by changes in the pilosebaceous units, skin structures consisting of a hair follicle and its associated sebaceous gland. It is characterized by noninflammatory follicular papules or comedones and by inflammatory papules, pustules, and nodules in its more severe forms. Acne vulgaris affects the areas of skin with the densest population of sebaceous follicles; these areas include the face, the upper part of the chest, and the back. Severe acne is inflammatory, but acne can also manifest in noninflammatory forms. Acne lesions are commonly referred to as pimples, blemishes, spots, zits, or acne. Source
There's been a gap in products marketed to adult women--little or nothing was available to address their acne needs, and as a result, sales have lagged. "No one was looking to target the 30- to 40-year-olds," said Lee Feldman, vice president of sales for Advanced Research Labs. Source
- In this report we have presented Acne Market details for following countries.
Causes of Acne
Acne is a common occurrence at puberty. With the increased production of sex hormones, the sebaceous glands become hyperactive. Androgen and progesterone are responsible for the hyperplasia of the oil glands. The usual premenstrual flare-up is explained by some observers as occurring during the period when the normal androgen-estrogen balance in the blood is altered in favor of androgen. Hence hormonal imbalance is held responsible for causing acne. Psychogenic stresses particularly the habit of picking pimples, makes them worse.
Besides seborrhoeic diathesis and hormonal imbalance, other factors which aggravate acne are:
- a diet rich in fats and starches;
- intestinal stasis, especially constipation;
- a sedentary life;
- excessive use of greasy cosmetics, pomade, detergents and mechanical rubbing
- Heavy or oily make up
- Over abrasive cleansing
- Diet high in nutritious food can also help aggravate acne.
There are various types of acne and they are:-
- Acne Rosacea
- Acne Cosmetica
- Acne Vulgaris
- Acne Fulminans
- Acne Keloidalis Nuchae
- Acne Chloracne
- Acne Medicamentosa
Medical treatment is suggested only in cases of chronic or severe acne and should be taken from the dermatologist.
To outline the drug treatment, it aims chiefly to:
- Cut down the bacteria in the hair follicles and on the skin surface.
- Open the hair follicles by removal of the blackheads.
- Cut down the acne inflammations.
Local Drug Treatments
Benzoyl Peroxide preparations available as gels and lotions have become very popular in the treatment of acne. Cream "Ultra Clearasil" is a very potent Benzoyl preparation. One of the main action points of Benzoyl Peroxide is to kill bacteria. It releases oxygen which helps in killing aerobic bacteria.
The sulphur drug preparations, available as creams, gels and lotions, are extremely effective in treating acne. Like Benzoyl Peroxide, sulphur is committed to killing bacteria. Sulphur is a disinfectant and used in skin treatments for eczema, etc.
Tetracycline usually has no side-effects and hence is the safest drug. However, in some uncommon cases, it causes bilousness, indigestion, vaginal thrush or rash.
Objective A global understanding of markets, products, and distribution channels related to the acne product market. Our overall focus is on the OTC market(Excluding prescription drugs).
Secondary data sources are only used to conduct the research.
The list of various sources used to conduct the research are as follows:
- Euromonmitor International
- Frost and Sullivan
- Marketline Business Information Center (Datamonitor)
- Online Pharmacy Store: drugstore.com
- Search Engine: Google
Scope of the study
- Included two major markets namely U S and Japan.
- Study covers leading brands for Acne treatment for OTC and not Prescription drugs for mass distribution channel that includes mainstream supermarkets, chain drugstores and mass merchandisers.
USA market study
- Anti-acne products sold through mass retail channels totaled $646 million in 2007 to account for about 4% of all cosmeceutical sales. Subtracting these products from total sales translates to growth from $12.4 billion in 2001 to $15.6 billion in 2005—still a 6% CAGR.
- The sales figures are of OTC products only and not prescription drugs.
The sales figures are for Mass Channel (Mass channel includes mainstream supermarkets, chain drugstores and mass merchandisers)
Major Players in Acne Space
J&J commanded over 47% of anti-acne preparation sales in 2007. About 27 points of that share was yielded by the Neutrogena brand and another 16 points by Clean & Clear. J&J’s closest rival was Reckitt Benckiser, which had only a 15% share, thanks to its early 2006 acquisition of Boots Healthcare and its time-honored Clearasil brand.
Share of U.S. Retail Dollar Sales of Anti-Acne Preparations in Mass Channels for 2007 are shown below Mass Channel (Mass channel includes mainstream supermarkets, chain drugstores and mass merchandisers).
Various Channels of Distribution:
- Mass channel includes mainstream supermarkets, chain drugstores and mass merchandisers.
- Prestige includes upscale-priced department stores (e.g., Bloomingdale's, Nordstrom), beauty chains (Sephora), brand-dedicated stores (Aveda, M.A.C.), salons and spas with retail counters, etc.
- Online Stores
- Direct Sales
Consumer Target Group & Product Categorization
Consumer Target Group
Here we have divided entire population into various categories. This categories are defined as follows:
- Teenager/Young Adult : Age 13 to 20 years
- Adult : Age 25 and Above
- General population
Here, we had tried to categorize the the different products under following 3 categories.
The below information is regarding the target group and categories are obtained from company websites and review published on various online pharmacy sites.
|Johnson & Johnson||Ambi||Moistureriser/Lotion/Cream||General Population||Mentholatum Co.||OXY Body Wash 2% Salicylic Acid Acne Treatment, Island Wave||Moistureriser/Lotion/Cream||Teen and Adult|
|Johnson & Johnson||Aveeno Clear Complexion||Moistureriser/Lotion/Cream||General Population||Mentholatum Co.||OXY Face Wash Acne-Fighting Formula||Moistureriser/Lotion/Cream||Teen|
|Johnson & Johnson||Clean & Clear Advantage Acne Cleanser||Kits and Moistureriser/Lotion/Cream||Adult||Mentholatum Co.||Oxy chill factor Face Scrub Acne treatment||Moistureriser/Lotion/Cream||Teen and Adult|
|Johnson & Johnson||Neutrogena Acne Stress Control||Moistureriser/Lotion/Cream||Teen and Adult||Mentholatum Co.||Phisoderm Anti-Blemish Body Wash||Moistureriser/Lotion/Cream||General Population|
|Johnson & Johnson||Neutrogena Advanced Solutions||Moistureriser/Lotion/Cream||Teen and Adult||Mentholatum Co.||Phisoderm Anti-Blemish Cleansing Pads||Moistureriser/Lotion/Cream||Teen and Adult|
|Johnson & Johnson||Neutrogena Clear Pore||Moistureriser/Lotion/Cream||Teen and Adult||Kao Co., Ltd.||Biore Blemish Fighting Ice Cleanser||Kits and Moistureriser/Lotion/Cream||Teen and Adult|
|Johnson & Johnson||Neutrogena Healthy Skin||Moistureriser/Lotion/Cream||Teen and Adult||Kao Co., Ltd.||Biore Warming Anti-Blackhead Cream Cleanser||Moistureriser/Lotion/Cream||Adult|
|Johnson & Johnson||Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash||Moistureriser/Lotion/Cream||Teen and Adult||Alberto-Culver Co.||St Ives Apricot Face Wash||Moistureriser/Lotion/Cream||Teen and Adult|
|Johnson & Johnson||Neutrogena On the Spot||Moistureriser/Lotion/Cream||Teen and Adult||Blistex, Inc.||Stridex||Moistureriser/Lotion/Cream||Teen and Adult|
|Johnson & Johnson||Neutrogena Men Skin Clearing Face Wash||Moistureriser/Lotion/Cream||Teen and Adult||The Procter & Gamble Co.||Noxzema||Kits and Moistureriser/Lotion/Cream||Adult|
|Johnson & Johnson||Neutrogena Rapid Clear||Moistureriser/Lotion/Cream||Teen and Adult||The Procter & Gamble Co.||Olay Daily Facials Clarity||Moistureriser/Lotion/Cream||Teen and Adult|
|Reckitt Benckiser PLC||Clearasil Daily Acne Control Vanishing Acne Treatment Cream||Moistureriser/Lotion/Cream||Teen and Adult||Stiefel Laboratories, Inc.||Stiefel Panoxyl||Kits and Moistureriser/Lotion/Cream||Teen and Adult|
|Reckitt Benckiser PLC||Clearasil Acne Control Adult Acne Treatment Cream||Moistureriser/Lotion/Cream||Teen and Adult||Bristol-Myers Squibb||Sea Breeze||Moistureriser/Lotion/Cream||Teen and Adult|
|University Medical||University Medical||Kits and Moistureriser/Lotion/Cream||Teen and Adult||Bristol-Myers Squibb||Sea Breeze Naturals Gentle Cream Cleanser||Kits and Moistureriser/Lotion/Cream||Teen and Adult|
|University Medical||University Medical AcneFree Clear Skin System||Kits and Moistureriser/Lotion/Cream||Adult||Nature’s Cure, Inc.||Nature’s Cure||Moistureriser/Lotion/Cream||Teen and Adult|
This report covers the product available in mass distribution channel only.
Snapshot of the dashboard
Japan Market Study
- Acne treatments most dynamic with 20% current value growth in 2007
- Acne treatments were the best performing product area in 2007, achieving 20% current value growth over the previous year. This was chiefly due to the re- launch of leading brand Mentholatum Acnes from Rohto Pharmaceutical Co Ltd in 2006. The brand was re -launched with a more effective formulation and grew share dynamically in 2007 as a result.
- Acne treatments are also expected to see strong growth during the forecast period, with constant value growth of 42%. Growth will be supported by further new product development. The growing number of busy and affluent young workers suffering from acne will make this product area highly attractive to players during the forecast period, with these consumers generally willing to pay more for products that are convenient and enhance their appearance. New launches are therefore expected to focus on swiftly absorbed formulations that also claim to improve skin condition.
Following figure shows the sales of acne treatment product during the period 2004 to 2007.
Brands and their Sales
- The below table shows the names of various brands under acne care and their respective sales percentage for the period between 2004 to 2007.
|Acne Treatments Brand Shares by Value 2004-2007|
|Menturm Acne Lotion||8.7||8.6||6.6||5.7|
|Pair Acne Cream W||2.9||2.4|
[Source : Euromonitor International]
Categorization of Products
- Here, we had tried to categorize the the different products under following 3 categories.
|Clearasil Acne||Kits and Moistureriser/Lotion/Cream|
|Menturm Acne Lotion||Moistureriser/Lotion/Cream|
|Pair Acne Cream W||Moistureriser/Lotion/Cream|
- The following image shows the forecasted sales figure of the acne treatment market for Japan.
Like this report?
This is only a sample report with brief analysis
Dolcera can provide a comprehensive report customized to your needs
|Buy the customized report from Dolcera|
|Patent Analytics Services||Market Research Services||Purchase Patent Dashboard|
|Patent Landscape Services||Dolcera Processes||Industry Focus|
|Patent Search Services||Patent Alerting Services||Dolcera Tools|