Dr. Y. K. Mishra
Designation: Director at Fortis Escort Heart Institute
Department: Cardiothoracic Surgery
• Dr. Yugal K Mishra, Director – Cardiac Surgery at Fortis Escorts Heart Institute, is one of the pioneers of minimally invasive cardiac surgery in India.
• Since joining Fortis Escorts Heart Institute in 1991, Dr. Mishra has been one of the key surgeons responsible for performing a significant portion of cardiac surgeries done at Fortis Escorts Heart Institute. He has operated over 7000 cardiovascular cases so far.
• Dr. Mishra pioneered minimally invasive cardiac surgeries at Fortis Escorts Heart Institute including MIDCAB (Minimally Invasive Direct Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery), OPCAB (Off Pump Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery), and Port access approach for mitral valve surgery and ASD closure. Dr Mishra’s area of interest includes redo cardiac surgery and Robotic Cardiac Surgery, which he initiated in December 2002 at Escorts Heart Institute. He has performed more than 500 redo cases and over 350 robotic cardiac cases.
• Born in 1954, Dr. Mishra completed his MBBS and MS from S.S Medical College in MP. He is a Ph.D in cardiovascular surgery from Bakulev Institute of Cardiovascular Surgery, Moscow, Russia and Fellow in cardiothoracic surgery at Thoracic Centre of University Hospital in Uppsala, Sweden.
• Beside Clinical work, Dr. Mishra is actively involved in research and has already published more than 70 scientific papers in national and international journals.
• Dr. Mishra has the rare distinction of being a Director on the Board of Directors of International Society for Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery. He is the 4th Asian to be so honored and only the 2nd Indian to hold this distinction.